Applications accepted through April 30, 2014
A web developer/programmer at the University of Kansas is responsible for the design, layout and coding of websites. They are involved with the technical and graphical aspects of a website - how the site works and how it looks. They are also involved with the maintenance and update of existing sites. The web developer will utilize existing purchased or open-sourced software (such as Drupal, Wordpress, etc), and may be asked to program custom solutions.
This web developer/programmer will work as part of a team, which will include other developers, designers, and end users (ie, content editors). This developer will support web and mobile applications for the Office of the Provost and the Spencer Museum of Art.
Develops, maintains, and supports web sites and web applications
independently or as a member of a small standards-based team while continuously seeking methods for automation, efficiency, and security conscious development.
Researches and develops solutions
to problems or as specified by the functional needs of the project.
with clients, other developers, and members of the university community to understand and contribute to project needs as well as maintain a broader view of the KU environment.
meet relevant standars and architecture in a team culture of code walk through.
frequently with the Unit Manager and provides status updates and knowledge clients and peers.
related duties as assigned.
- Associate Degree and three years relevant experience or equivalent.
- Two or more years demonstrated professional experience with web development using HTML and CSS, including URLs provided as samples of work.
- Two or more years experience in development and maintenance of a database focused applications (Prefer mySQL and/or Oracle) .
- A bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited institution.
- Demonstrated ability and interest in learning new technical skills
- Proven ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with technical teams, business partners, and management including excellent presentation and writing skills.
- Experience producing technical documentation.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills, with a record of being flexible, accurate, detail-oriented, reliable and self-motivated.
- Two or more years demonstrated web design experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or similar products.
Experience with and/or knowledge of the following
- Git or other version control system
- PHP Frameworks (prefer Symfony)
- CMS systems (prefer Drupal)
- Responsive web design
- Application/web security
- Middleware technologies including application servers, directory servers(LDAP), and authentication/authorization
- Software architecture design, system analysis and associated methodologies
- Development and maintenance of a database focused application (Prefer mySQL and/or Oracle)
- UNIX flavor web server (Prefer Linux)
- A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met
- Three professional references
- This position shares in responsibility for information security by following all applicable security policies and procedures.
- This position is authorized to use elevated privilege accounts in the performance of job duties.
- This position is authorized to issue password resets in accordance with established procedure in the performance of job duties.
- This position is authorized to handle sensitive or confidential data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
Statement on Diversity & Inclusion:
As a premier international research university, the University of Kansas is committed to an open, diverse and inclusive learning and working environment that nurtures the growth and development of all. KU holds steadfast in the belief that an array of values, interests, experiences, and intellectual and cultural viewpoints enrich learning and our workplace. The promotion of and support for a diverse and inclusive community of mutual respect require the engagement of the entire university.